.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Urban Junkie

Thursday, October 13, 2005

Shouting out loud

I've been following this story for a few days, and perhaps I'm late to the party. But late or not, it needs to be said. As revolted as I am by the distasteful personal attack on a fellow blogger, I am stunned by the rallying cry it has evoked in the blogging world. Not that I doubted the strength of the sentiment that would exist against any behaviour so clearly unjust and reprehensible. But I am awed, moved - and, in a strange way, humbled - by the force with which this collective scorn has been ground into the faces of the offenders.

So this is what it means, to be part of the blogging world. This is what it means, to be able to have your say. To voice an opinion and be heard, to respect every other person's right to do exactly that. To have a platform for debate, exchange and conversation. Civilized conversation. This is what it's all about. Not just freedom of speech, but the right to be heard. Not just being a lone voice in the wilderness, but being an emphatic, resonating force, supported by likeminded voices wherever they can be reached.

If I sound like a novice, it is because I am one. My new toy, which was just about being cool and telling a few funny stories, has revealed itself to be a powerful tool that must be handled with care. It's great to have fun with, but when it bares its teeth it does mean business.

My deepest respects - and a round of heartfelt applause - to all of you. To Rashmi, to Gaurav, and to everyone who has thrown their hats into the ring in support of basic civility and respect for the rules of the game.

1 Comments:

  • I have been followin this IIPM story for a while now in the blogworld and also in this whole Protest..It pains and disgusts me to see some jerks out there who write filth and post them in the comments...whatever happened to Freedom of Speech? It is just a disgrace that we even end up readin ppl like them in blogs that offer so much to readers from all over.. Glad to see a post in ur blog bout this too.Cheers..COunt me in for gettin the real truth~~

    By Blogger arvindiyer, at 11:31 AM, October 13, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Site Meter