.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Urban Junkie

Friday, September 23, 2005

Waning wanderlust?

You know, on paper I often describe myself as a traveler. If I were to flesh out my profile on this blog, there it would be: ‘love to travel’. Most of my friends would say the same about me. And I believe it of myself, undoubtedly. Often when I dream of an ideal life I think of a life spent wandering about the world; my ideal job would be one where I’m paid to travel – I even vaguely remember applying for one as a travel writer.

And yet …

In practice I wonder if I really live up to that. Increasingly, I feel pangs the minute I step out the door. And nothing quite compares with the feeling of getting back home, even if it’s only been a few days. A boisterous welcome by two indignant yet overjoyed Labs, the smell of ghee-drenched rasam and rice, the ability to brew my own tea (thank goodness), my sumptuously comfortable futon to sink into (even if it is suspiciously covered with dog hair - they’ve clearly been having a wild time in my absence). What could possibly compete with this?

A large part of my homesickness is, of course, to do with the Labs. And a substantial chunk of the responsibility undoubtedly goes to hotel tea. But the watering-down of wanderlust runs a bit deeper than that.

More and more, I just can’t seem to get ‘enough’ time at home. About workdays the less said the better, but even weekends go by in a flash – at the movies, at coffee bars, at the gym (ok, not every weekend, but ...), out shopping, out drinking. And there really are no complaints here … I love this bursting-at-the-seams life, would probably pack in more if I could. As much as I love to travel – I have only yet been to a fraction of the places I want to go to, a long list still awaits.

But a parallel me just wants to be at home. To revel in the spaces I’ve created with such care, to enjoy my garden, to light my candles, to romp with the dogs, to watch TV, even just to potter about in my kitchen. What parallel me would really like is a holiday at home.

Is it age? Or just a sign of the stress-and-bustle times we live in?


5 Comments:

  • interesting Anjali!

    By Blogger Humour and last laugh, at 11:30 PM, September 23, 2005  

  • Not Age...just redifining urself more likely...came in thro manuscrypts blog...nice place here..Cya around!!

    By Blogger arvindiyer, at 12:30 AM, September 24, 2005  

  • I can relate to the part about tastefully creating a home and not having the time to enjoy it. Nothing like a holiday at home.

    By Blogger Kaps, at 10:02 AM, September 24, 2005  

  • humour and arvind ... thanks for stopping by :)

    kaps: yes, I know ... but the tussle between wanderlust and homelust goes on

    LA: thanks for the nice words ... please do keep dropping in!

    By Blogger Anjali, at 2:28 AM, September 26, 2005  

  • Yikes ! Dont say 'age' Anjali at 24 i feel like this :( *sigh*

    Bounced off to buy the '52 weekends from Bangalore' Outlook travelogue as soon as i got here :)..hmmm never got around to using it , have to dust off layers of cobwebs and dust from it :)))

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:44 AM, December 19, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Site Meter