.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Urban Junkie

Sunday, November 26, 2006

Tarot wisdom and other trivia

A Tarot card told me this morning that I have forgotten how to have fun. That I am so busy holding it all together, making sure things run smoothly, so busy ‘living conscientiously’, that I have stopped ‘living consciously’. Life, it seems, is passing me by and I am in danger of becoming a fossil before my time.

Oh dear.

It gets worse. My self importance, says the Tarot accusingly, has exceeded all reasonable bounds. What makes me believe that I carry the universe on my shoulders? That if I don’t make it to that meeting, answer that email, write that report this weekend … that if I don’t personally polish it all to perfection, it will completely fall apart? Sigh. What, indeed?

Now, the Tarot and I have usually had an uneasy relationship. Apart from having a tendency to pontificate, it is not a great believer in straight talking. It waffles and dithers, it will not take a stand, and it urges me to “look inwards” rather than coming right out and saying what it means. AND it’s a bit of a pompous wiseguy (check out the clever juxtaposition of ‘conscious’ and ‘conscientious’ up there). The vehemence of its no-holds-barred speech this time has therefore startled me. Clearly, I have moved it to speak its mind. Time to pay heed I suppose.

A careful examination of weekends for the last 6 months reveals a remarkable absence of anything remotely worthwhile. No dawdling, no pottering, no reading, no writing, no dancing, no Sudoku, even. No blogging, of course. Have 24 weekends at a trot been spent in the pursuit of (ugh) living conscientiously? It would seem that way.


Time to pay heed, indeed. Step 1 is to write a new post. Not enough to appease the Tarot, perhaps, but a small, firm step towards redemption.

7 Comments:

  • Good to see you back...hope your tarot cards are within accessible range...just in case work and other things frivolous pull you away.
    'All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind' said Aristotle. True...to an extent.

    By Blogger Reshma Bachwani, at 12:24 PM, November 26, 2006  

  • Wow! Great to see you back Anjali.

    Write a longer post soon. Can't get enough of a good thing.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:13 PM, November 27, 2006  

  • Ah, you return! These lonely months have been hard on us, O Junkie, but we have bravely soldiered on. And your return rejuvenates us, yes, it is a breath of fresh air.

    Would you be acquainted with Orkut fortunes? They are as accurate as the Tarot, and generally more cheerful. One's fortune for today states that one is "very expressive and positive in words, act and feeling". See, much nicer than the Tarot. And less demanding.

    By Blogger the One, at 8:15 AM, November 28, 2006  

  • welcome back!!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 7:35 AM, November 30, 2006  

  • Anjali,
    How right you are in your observations of the T! But isn't it reassuring to have it care, even if to only scold, rather than stand back distantly and shrug every time you turn for guidance.

    If I had a rupee for the number of times I've had a non-committal 'do whatever you want', I'd be rich, I would.

    By Blogger Sheetal, at 10:17 PM, December 01, 2006  

  • reshma: I think the mind is already too degraded to worry about Aristotle's gloomy predictions. But yes, am keeping the Tarot cards handy at all times :)

    tara: thank you. And may I remind you that a post is long overdue from you as well?

    the one: Alas, I have not yet managed to worm my way into the privileged Orkut circle. But I will immediately proceed to do so, having learnt of their much more cheery predictions.

    siri: thanks!

    sheetal: I agree completely. I'd vote for a clear kick-in-the-rear any time over this "looking inwards" business. Particularly as 'inwards' doesn't offer much to look at, most of the time.

    By Blogger Anjali, at 5:17 AM, December 09, 2006  

  • Hi, I like your writing style---Wodehousian in places!As for the Tarot, you proved them wrong, didn't you?

    By Blogger LAK, at 8:21 PM, February 05, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Site Meter